Monday, March 10, 2008

Painful Realizations

There are lots of things that can make one a better cyclist. These are a few things that don't:


Ti rotor bolts do NOT make you faster.

White carbon-soled Italian shoes do NOT make you faster.

Affiliation with badass Olympic hopefuls does NOT make you faster.


Wind-cheating skinsuits do NOT make you faster.

No, these things are not what make a good bike racer.
These are simply things that good bike racers have.

Sunday was a first hand lesson in what a 'hard day on the bike' really is. I knew i was toast by the end of my second of three laps as i felt the twinge of fatigue and cramping settling into my quads. Add to that a bit of dehydration, chills, nausea, and a bone-dry drivetrain - and you've got a combination for pain.


No blingin' shoes or go-fast skinsuit could make up for my lack of fitness. Nor could they replace the invaluable race experience earned the hard way by guys like JHK.

I had to take it like a rat and ride for survival.

Oh well, more fuel for the fire.

4 comments:

Vu said...

Well as least the skinsuit and the white sidi shoes makes you look fast. Hook me up with that training regiment, my email is on my facebook profile.

John McKeen said...

How was the course? Oh, I do like Bonelli! (Also, I'm going to race XC at the Otter)

Alex said...

the course was about as good as i've seen it. a little bit of mud, but nothing too bad.

try to go easy on me at sea otter, ok?

John McKeen said...

Hahaha, whatever! I haven't touched my MTB in over 6 months! You guys are going to smoke me!